Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Year, New Life

Early afternoon in Cheongju and I am of course making the most of my cultural experience by enjoying a sesame seed bagel with cream cheese for a late breakfast (I do not believe there are unlimited mimosa on sangria brunch places lining the streets of Cheongju). It is difficult to part ways with some western indulgences.

I have been here for nearly a week and I have been pretty cautious (though crazy curious) with my new surroundings. I am trying to observe the people, way of life and customs before I become a participant of everyday life…or humiliate myself and negatively brand all Americans forever and always…

My apartment is cozy; baring the necessities for an individual to lead a comfortable life. My bathroom comes furnished with just a toilet, sink and shower head…no actual shower. I believe it will take a few weeks to finesse the style of showering sans shower curtain, though I do find the new way of taking a shower quite liberating....

I had four hours of teacher training on New Years Eve and apparently that established I could teach small Korean children English. As flattering as that was, I was a bit concerned with my ability to A) teach small children while lacking a teaching degree and B) teach small children who don’t speak English (still while lacking a teaching degree). Those concerns were quickly put to rest as I was told I would start on Friday January 2nd and teach 6 classes. I did not have enough time to think of a way to dodge my obligation.

 I went home, friendless, terrified and wildly sober. I passed out on my bed, coat and all, and woke up nearly an hour before the New Year…I decided I should make this a sober new years (the first since I was 14 and attended first night with Linda Duggan and her family) and instead ravaged through my suitcase to find chocolate given to me by the Daley family to ration during my time abroad. However, this was the  only other vice accessible before midnight and I could not hold back. I inhaled the chocolate, fell back on the bed and welcomed the New Year, not hungover but with a stomachache. I vow never to eat chocolate bars again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment